Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Okay- who done it?!

I had a crappy day today. Tomorrow I need to decide if I will accept a fantastic scholarship and continue school for a PhD or turn it down, walking away from something I thought I was destined to do. I can't tell you how many tears have been shed over this decision.

But, a decision needs to be made. This afternoon I believe I decided to turn the offer down for many reasons, including, as my mother put it, "it just isn't right for you, right now." Even still, I was still feeling pretty crappy about shutting this door, so Chris and I went for a walk around our little 'lake.' We had a good chat and on the way home, we stopped to get the mail. Inside I found a note that I had gotten a package! We trotted right back over to the Community Center to check it out. I wasn't expecting anything . . . and guess what?

Someone bought me the measuring cup I was longing for from Byn Alexandra! OMG!! I know!


This has totally made my day! Chris thinks it is a sign. I am not so sure about his logic, but in his mind, this gift confirms my decision to forgo more schooling. I am not sure, but one thing is for certain- I have the most beautiful and unique measuring cup on the block! I can't believe that someone would be so kind and generous.

So thank you anonymous friend. Your gift could not have come at a better time. I would love to know who you are so I could give you a big hug and personally say "Thank you from the bottom of my heart." I know this is getting pretty darn cheesy- but seriously- this school decision has been one of the hardest decisions I have ever made, and your gift was so perfect and so timely, I don't think coincidence can be blamed.

(It is a bit curious though . . . How did you know my maiden name? And how did you know my address?)

Edit: Shortly after posting this, my mother contacted me to let me know the gift was from her. Thank you Mother- I love you! (Nice to know why the sender knew my maiden name and address!)

12 comments:

Meredith said...

Are you sure it wasn't a family member or friend? I would be totally freaked out if some random blog reader knew my maiden name and address!!!

Mandy said...

Cool gift, T! :) And perfect timing too. I completely agree with Chris about signs. I know it was a touch decision for you and I'm glad you figured out what was best for you!

Jennifer said...

Aww that was so sweet of your mom!! Decisions like that are always hard but I think following your heart is the best way to go.

Brittany Ann said...

Wow! I'm with the hubs. It's a sign!

Erin said...

That is so cool! Yay for awesome moms :-)

If your mom and Chris both think that holding off on school is a good idea right now, then you can rest knowing that 1) they want what's truly best for you and 2) school will ALWAYS be there. ALWAYS. Enjoy a break for a little bit - you never know what kind of surprises life has waiting for you!

Snow White said...

that is so awesome.

I'm so glad you made the right decision for you... one thing I'm learning as I'm working on my PhD is that people will offer you lots of things to get you where they want you to be, but, what's important is that you are where YOU need to be. Blessings to you this day!

Kathleen said...

That makes me so happy - aren't moms great?

Denise K. said...

It sounds like you made a perfect decision, and I know everything will fall right into place, just as it should! Aw...there is no one like a mom to know just what you need to cheer you up! :-) Hapy New Beginnings...I know it was a tough decision, but now new doors will open to new and exciting adventures!!! :-)

Emily said...

What a nice mom - I love surprises in the mail!

Eric said...

Hey Taryn. Your old classmate Eric here. I'm an avid reader.

If you're not 100% certain that getting a PhD is the only thing that could make you happy, don't do it. It's a lot of work, 5-15% of your life, and a lot of money (both spent and not made) for a degree that has iffy career prospects at best. Sure, learning is fun, but that might not be enough to sustain you for 5-7 years.

We'll miss you, of course!

Danielle said...

Good luck with the decision. I can totally understand what you're going through. It's never an easy decision to make especially if you're like me and like to second guess yourself. ;)

Sarah said...

Hooray, for fun surprise presents in the mail! School is for fools anyway ;) Just kidding, I hate having to make big life decisions.