Friday, April 10, 2009

Homemade Super Salt!

This salt is not your average, run-of-the-mill salt. It is great, fantastic, impressive- perhaps even super- salt. It is a family recipe that has been passed from my grandma to my mother. All the way from grandma. (Maybe more- I don't actually know.)


Ingredients -or as Emily says, "Meet the Team:"


  • 1 10 oz regular salt
  • 1 tbsp onion salt
  • 4 tbsp black pepper
  • 2 tbsp celery salt
  • 1 tbsp garlic salt
  • 4 tbsp white pepper
  • 4 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tbsp dill salt OR 1 tbsp dill weed (I used dill weed)
  • Optional: 2 tbsp paprika ('for color' as grandma says)
  • Optional 2 tbsp MSG (I didn't know you could buy MSG at the store- did you? Everyone seems to be taking it out of stuff- so yeah.)
Directions: Measure ingredients and mix together.

**I didn't make a whole batch, I used the fancy google things to convert everything down. It wasn't hard, but if you want to try it and can't make it working, let me know and I will help you out!

Add as a substitute for regular salt. I promise- it will make everything taste super delicious!

6 comments:

Emily said...

Lol, how fun. I'll definitely have to try this!

Jennifer said...

I love family recipes!! I'll definatly try this!!

Denise K. said...

This looks awesome!! I'm anxious to make it, and you know it would be great for a hostess gift, etc...GREAT recipe and a GREAT idea! Happy Easter!! :-)

My name is PJ. said...

How cool is that? I've never seen anything quite like it. We'll have to try it!

Rae said...

Wow. I agree that it is super-salt. I have to admit that I actually only ever have boring sea salt in the house. I should at least experiment with others, right? I'll put it on my to-do list after moving.

Kimberly said...

I blend a bunch of the herbs from my garden with kosher salt. I use it on everything. I'll have to try your recipe as well.
RE: Canning---I used a water bath for all the fruits I canned & the pickles. I used a pressure cooker for green beans and my tomato sauce. The tomatoes can go wither way. The Ball Blue Book of canning is amazing--and cheap. They sell it at Walmart and Target during summer/fall. It'll tell you what you need to pressure can and what is fine with the hot water. Good luck!
I'm planning to do a lot more fruits with berries from the farm up the road from us. We just ate so many fresh, that I never got around to freezing or canning any. :)