Thursday, April 30, 2009

Homemade Produce Bags?

Next on my list of ways to green up, is produce bags. I always put my produce in bags at the store. And when I get home, I can't find another way to reuse them. Number one, they don't fit in the garbage cans. Number two, I could reuse them at the store, but I feel like I should clean them out before taking them back to reuse 'em. And I never clean them out- I just don't like to. I will wash Ziplocs, but apparently not produce bags. So instead, I thought I would try to make some lightweight produce bags that I could wash and reuse. I found a good tutorial at Wisdom of the Moon. She suggests using tulle or sheer fabric, but I didn't have any so I thought I would try some cheesecloth I did have laying around. Let me tell you- it was a bad idea.

Here is what happened the first time I put produce in my bag.


Obviously, cheesecloth isn't going to cut it. But garage sale season is almost upon us so a shopping I will go!

12 comments:

Brittany Ann said...

This is an excellent idea. I like the way you think!

a H.I.T. said...

I know what you mean! I use reusable shopping bags, but feel so guilty using the plastic produce bags!

Emily said...

You think of everything, I tell ya.

Emily said...

Good attempt!

Snow White said...

our grocery store recycles plastic bags...that's where my produce bags go. I'll be excited to see if what you come up with!!

Rose said...

Tulle would make such a pretty produce bag! :o) You could even sew a little tie at the top with some ribbon!

Ashley @ The Happy Little Home said...

A kind of quick, but more expensive, trick is to use those laundry bags that you wash lingerie in. I have about 3 that I use. I like them because there is a zipper and also because you can obviously wash them in the machine. Tulle would be super cute though!!

♥Mrs. V said...

You are so creative!

Taryn said...

Ashley: Are your bags pretty light? I feel like a zipper would add a significant amount of weight to the total amount I have to pay for. Or I am just being silly?

My name is PJ. said...

I'll be interested in what you come up with. Light weight (really light) and strong (really strong) is going to be challenging I think. But it will be so cool!

Emily said...

Thank you for your sweet comment!!!!

Rae said...

You've already inspired me to make my own shopping bags from old skirts, so I am excited to see your final solution for produce bags!