Friday, April 17, 2009

Homemade Grocery Bag

I have decided that we are done with plastic bags. We have more than we need to line our garbage cans, and well, plastic bags are not so great for the environment. So I decided to make a few bags for us. (Why I didn't just buy a couple at the store for $1.00 each, I don't know. It would have been so much easier, cheaper, faster . . .) Anyway . . . here is how I turned this (a Salvation Army jean skirt $1.20):


into this (an awesome grocery bag):

(I also got a wicked short mini skirt out of the deal too.)

I used a combination of patterns: the body of the bag from here and adapted the handles from here.

I cut out my fabric like so . . .


And sewed it together as the tutorial suggests. Sorry I suck at tutorials. Maybe I will get better- I just get into it and forget to take pictures. Plus, I kinda went off the deep end with the handles and the top of the bag. I really had no idea what I was doing, and just sorta went at it. But I think it turned out pretty well. I tried to emulate the hem of the skirt by sewing two lines around the top. I sure hope this secured the handles to the bag. = )


I wanted the bag to be sturdy enough to hold heavy cans and melons and such, so I used the denim fabric. I think I accomplished that goal- the bag is wicked strong. However it is also huge. See?


That is a "big" box of kid friendly Kix and the huge oatmeal size. I could smuggle a kid in this bag. I have another skirt just like the pink one only bigger that I was planning to make into another bag- but I will definitely try to make the next bag a bit shorter. Oh well. Still fun.

11 comments:

Lucy Marie said...

Girl that is stinkin' sweet. I need to learn a lesson or two from you!

S. said...

very cool!

Emily said...

How cute! I love it. Although with our grocery bill each week, we would need probably 50 of those.

Brittany Ann said...

That is so cute! You're the craftiest, and I love it!

Adie said...

That is awesome! I am so impressed!! Have you tried your hand at curtains? I also think the size will be a lot better than you think. Good luck with the handles, it looks like you did a great job!

T i f f a n y said...

That's a great idea! I have been thinking about switching to reusable grocery bags myself but I'm not brave enough to try out my 7th grade sewing machine skillz. I've seen some on clearance at Target so I might just pick up a few of those :)

My name is PJ. said...

This is a great idea - double environmentally friendly: recycled skirt, replaced plastic bags. You're one smart cookie!

Lisa said...

This is so cute! I wish I had some of your skillz!

Adie said...

Sorry I was not clear, I have pregnant brain. What I meant by have you tried curtains was really just that. I thought your stitches were super nice and I have been wanting to make curtains for years now but I am chicken. So I wondered if you had.

Mandy said...

Wow, that's amazing! I'm so impressed! :)

Chelsea Gwynne said...

omg! so cool! go get em crafy lady!