Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Homemade French Fries


Last week potatoes were buy one get one- so I bought one and got one. It is a lot of potatoes. I am not sure what to do with them all- so I asked my mother. She thought I should cut them up and bake them like french fries. I thought- why not make real french fries?

I found some directions at Cooking During Stolen Moments and it looked easy enough. How wrong was I?! I made a huge mess in our kitchen- spattering grease everywhere! (Katie- think Madrid November 2007 only 10 times worse.) But let me tell you- they were delicious. Chris commented saying, "Potatoes are best with fat!" Amen brother. Amen.


(P.S. To anyone who lives in this area- at the Flat Irons Mall there is a restaurant called The Village Tavern. They have the most amazing potato chip french fries. They are a lot like the ones I made yesterday- only better- served with Ranch. To die for. Seriously.)

While I would love to make 6 pounds of french fries- do you have any good ideas for potatoes that do not include soup?

13 comments:

The Passionate Book Worm said...

I love french fries with ranch! Those look so good!

Meredith said...

I hear you can freeze mashed potatoes. Also, hashbrowns!

The Cranes said...

Roasted potato's give almost the same effect as french fries... All you do is cut them up in slices, place them in a bowl, add 2 table spoons of canola oil (or veggi oil) salt & pepper for taste, place on a flat baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes.... Longer for crispier potatoes... My hubby loves these and they aren't too hard to make.

Also, mashed potatoes are delicious!

Try potatoes on the grill, those are also very good. Cut them in small slices, place on tinfoil season as desired and all a few small chunks of butter (you may want to spray the tinfoil before putting the potatoes on to help them from sticking)

That's all I have for potato ideas.

Good luck!!

Snow White said...

german potato salad.... we make an oven french fry too -- love those!

baked potato bar... potato bread... Buca garlic mashed potatoes... oh - I love potatoes.

Emily said...

Make some potato skins with all the fancy little garnishment's.

OR

Make some fried potatoes. Slice potatoes fairly thin, some oil, a little bit of corn meal and some onion.... thats a good southern dish!

Shannon said...

ooo..I'm so hungry now! :) Looks amazing!

Emily said...

Oh I forgot another good one... take left over mashed potatoes and fry them up as little potato cakes. Yum!

Sarah said...

Potatoes are the best food. Ever.

Lindsey said...

Oh yum!!!

Jennifer said...

Those look so GOOD!!

Amanda #1 said...

First, I have to say that this is the best garlic mashed potato recipie ever.

That said, you could also make scalloped potatoes as a side dish, or scalloped potatoes and ham as a main dish. I'll keep thinking for you!

Lucy Marie said...

I would honestly suggest 6 lb of french fries. That's what I would do. Growing up, my Mom used to make this meat and potato casserole. We make it all the time now, it's so good. I could send you the recipe if you like? Also, if you have a cool dark place to store them, they will last quite a long time so you don't have to worry about eating nothing but potatoes for the next week.

DomesticDivasFancy said...

Those look deliciouso, like Dora the explorer says! LOL, I am so scared to fry anything though, I always splatter myself.