Friday, April 3, 2009

Cheeseburger Macaroni


I was hungry yesterday afternoon. Very hungry. And thus very crabby. I was looking through the food blogs I follow in hopes of finding some delicious, easy comfort food. And I thought I found it when I came upon the promise of homemade Hamburger Helper! So we gave it a shot. It turned out pretty good- but I didn't like the texture of the sauce. I don't know if it is my lack of experience adding flour and milk to thicken it or what- but the sauce was a bit grainy. Also- a word of advice- one Tbsp of mustard goes a loooong way. I wish I had taken it down to 1/2 Tbsp.

Cheeseburger Macaroni
From Cooking During Stolen Moments

Ingredients
  • 1 lb. ground beef or turkey
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • salt
  • 1/4 c. flour
  • 2 c. milk
  • 2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2 T. ketchup
  • 1 T. mustard
  • 1 T. fresh parsley, minced, or 1 t. dried parsley flakes, crumbled
  • salt & pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 lb. cooked elbow macaroni noodles
Directions

1. Place ground meat and onions in a large skillet and season with salt, to taste. Brown meat. Do NOT drain fat.
2. Add flour, stir to incorporate, and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in milk, bring to a boil over medium heat, and thicken. Reduce heat to low and stir in cheese. Continue stirring until cheese is fully melted.
3. Stir in ketchup, mustard, and salt & pepper to the sauce. Add noodles and combine well. Serve and enjoy!

6 comments:

The Cranes said...

It looks delicious, that's for sure! I need to start making more crafty things, but I'm always afraid I won't like them... Maybe I'll try this! Thanks! Have a great weekend!
Kayla

Meredith said...

It really does sound pretty good!

Snow White said...

I always struggle with adding flour to "fats" (i.e. grease or melted butter). I have found that if I whisk the flour and milk together and then add it to the lipids (or, sometimes I even eliminate them) it seems to work out better. Maybe that will help with the texture.

Sarah said...

Yum! Looks good!!!

my love bug kids said...

thanks for stopping by the new blog!

DomesticDivasFancy said...

Seriously when my kitchen is finished I will need a chef! ;)