Friday, March 27, 2009

Homemade Tomato Soup


For lunch yesterday Chris decided that he wanted Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup (Chris worked from home yesterday due to the massive snowstorm that hit our area). But we had no tomato soup, and due to the snowstorm, I couldn't go get my most favorite soup- Imagine Creamy Tomato Soup.


(Seriously, this soup is so good, I have dreamed about it.) Anyway, I decided to make one from the stuff we had on hand. After searching the internet, I found a good recipe, but had one small problem . . . I would need to use a blender to puree the soup.

Let me start by saying that I am not fond of the blender. Don't get me wrong- it is the one we registered for and super cute- but I just don't really like to use it. (I like the Cuisinart.) Hubs loves the blender. The blender makes him delightful strawberry daiquiris and other girly drinks.

Apparently, the blender doesn't like my favoritism towards the Cuisinart and while making yesterday's homemade tomato soup, the blender took its revenge upon me . . . and burned me big time! Seriously.


Yeah, lets just say that today's fiasco did nothing to warm my feelings towards the blender.


Anyway, the soup was pretty good. I think it would have been better if it was a bit more blended, but I hate the blender, so . . . well, you know.

Homemade Tomato Soup
Adapted from passionatehomemaking.com

Ingredients
  • 3-4 Cups diced tomatoes (I used one 14.5 oz can and 12 frozen cherry tomatoes from last summer)
  • 1/2 Cup chopped onion
  • 1-2 shallots chopped
  • 1 Cup vegetable broth (I used homemade broth- seriously, it is magical!)
  • 4 garlic cloves crushed
  • a pinch of salt
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1 tsp dried dill weed
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
Directions
  1. In sauce pan saute shallots, onion and garlic.
  2. Add tomatoes and broth. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
  3. Pour into blender and puree.
  4. Pour back into pan and add seasonings to taste.
Enjoy!

14 comments:

vintage at heart said...

Yum, this is one of my favorites especially during cold weather!!! Yes the blender did misbehave on you!!! Glad that the soup turned out okay ;))!

Brittany Ann said...

I have this same relationship with my Crock Pot. I'm convinced it's jealous of my relationship with our rice cooker.

Erin said...

Wow, your blender really is evil - but it's SO cute!

Lisa said...

This looks delicious!!!

PJ said...

Taryn - Your post made me chuckle! The photos of the you and the rogue blender were a great touch! I love tomato soup. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Mrs. Smith said...

LOVE the photo of the blender mishap. :) It's so adorable. This soup sounds absolutely amazing!!! I am forever in awe of your cooking skills. This one seems completely reasonable, and I could probably make it in my food processor as Mr. Smith broke our blender awhile back. Yum yum yum!

S. said...

This sounds so yummy! I can't wait to try it!

a H.I.T. said...

Oh no! The best blender for soups? A hand blender. A friend of mine who made a delicious carrot soup taught me the trick.

I love homemade tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches on sourdough. Yum!

Super Careo said...

Blast that blender. You should probably give it a stern talking to, does it understand that there is a garage sale that could be lurking in its future?

The soup looked pretty good though!

Lucy Marie said...

Yum! I can't wait to try this. I'm sorry your blender is so vengeful to you. I really think you out to try out a hand held immersion blender. The one I got was only about 14.99 from Walmart and works great! Plus it's easier to wash than a blender.

P.S. I just read a.H.I.Ts comments. So, it's two against one - you need a hand blender.

Mandy said...

Ohh, I love tomato soup! Sorry about your burn. :(

Here's some links to cheer you up since I know how much you love otters...

http://www.zooborns.com/zooborns/2009/03/otter-pups-born-at-seaworld-san-diego.html

http://www.cheesesandwichfilmfestival.com/images/800px-sea_otters_holding_hands.jpg

xoxo :)

kari and kijsa said...

YUM!!
blessings,
kari & kijsa

nowealthbutlife.com said...

That looks really good. I am not a fan of most canned tomato soup, but this looks worth trying.

That is too bad about your blender. I did not like our last one, but we just got a kitchenaid that I am loving so far.

Recipe man said...

look great! thanks