Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent

Tada! I have tried to replace another household cleaning product with backing powder and borax. However, unlike Homemade Laundry Soap, Homemade Dishwasher Detergent is not unanimously loved on DIY blogs and such. Apparently, Homemade Dishwasher Detergent can leave dishes a bit cloudy or with an opaque film. But, in an effort to be frugal and get rid of chemicals in our house, I finally decided to give it a try.

Directions:

~Mix one part Borax and one part Baking Soda together.
~Place 2 tbsp in dishwasher.

I mixed about 1/2 cup of each in an old spaghetti jar and then put two tablespoons into the detergent spot of the dishwasher. When the washer was done, I unloaded it and as I inspected the dishes carefully, they seemed as clean as normal. Sweet! However, they were a bit cloudy . . .


(The one on the right has been through the dishwasher with homemade detergent.)

However, to combat these cloudy dishes, the internet told me I can add vinegar to the rinse cycle of the dishwasher. So I put some vinegar in. But I don't know if our dishwasher actually uses the rinse cycle, because the vinegar level never seems to go down . . .

Another way to prevent cloudy dishes is to use regular dishwasher detergent every other time you run it. I am not sure why this would help, but it is a common suggestion. I will give it a whirl too.

If none of this helps, I guess I will go back to regular detergent full time. I don't know what the cloudy residue is, but since consuming Borax is a no-no, we'll see. If nothing else, this recipe will serve nicely has an emergency back up detergent.

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

This was so interesting, I might need to try this!! Thanks for sharing!=)

Lucy Marie said...

I have been hemming and hawing about whether or not to try this - I think I just might. I'm also going to start making my own laundry detergent as soon as I run out of the one I have now!

Kraesc said...

I'm glad you showed the difference between one washed in the homemade dishwasher detergent and one without... I have been thinking about switching over to homemade and "green" cleaning. I don't have a dishwasher as of now though, so we're sticking with regular old dishsoap for now. Thanks for sharing!

Amanda #1 said...

Okay, I know this is a way old post, but hopefully you'll see my comment :)

I tried the borax/baking soda mixture and was not pleased with it. But, what does work FABULOUSLY for me, is to mix half store-bought detergent with half boarax (or 1/4 borax and 1/4 baking soda). In fact, I seems my dishes have gotten cleaner since I started doing this. I just dump mine together in a rubbermaid bread box (didn't work for our bread) and shake it up to combine. It's not AS cheap, but it still saves a ton of money!