Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Homemade Carrot Cake

For dessert the other night, I made a scrumptious Carrot Cake. It was one of the best I have ever made- because of two very important mistakes- I spilled the spices and grated too many carrots.

I got this recipe from my mother-in-law because her carrot cake was always fantastic. However, because I am a little haphazard in the kitchen (which makes Chris cringe) and I make mistakes, I now have an improved recipe.

Carrot Cake
  • 2 C Whole Wheat Flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 C sugar
  • 1 1/2 C oil
  • 4 beaten eggs
  • lots of nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger*
  • 4 C shredded carrots**
*The original recipe called for 2 tsp cinnamon, but I decided to mix it up with a mixture of ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg totaling 2 tsp. However, I dropped the nutmeg in the mix and a lot came out. A lot. And the cake was good. So yeah, its up to you.

** The original recipe called for 3 C shredded carrots. I peeled my carrots,


then shredded them in my super fun Cuisinart,


and measured them - only to find I had over 4 cups of shredded carrots. I only needed 3- but what can you do with a cup of shredded carrots? I didn't know of anything besides coleslaw, so I just threw all 4 cups into the batter. I think it made a huge difference. The cake was uber moist.

Directions
  1. Sift all dry ingredents.
  2. Add oil, eggs and carrots and mix well.
  3. Grease and flour 3 8'' layers (or two 9'' pans with one 8'' pan).
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

Frosting
  • 3 C powdered sugar
  • 1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 C butter
  • 2 tsp vanilla
Directions
  1. Cream butter and sugar.
  2. Add cream cheese, beat until smooth.
  3. Add vanilla.
Ice cake and hide all your mistakes. = )



(Please excuse my mediocre frosting job. I was chatting and frosting at the same time, and apparently that is too much for me.)

17 comments:

Kraesc said...

Yum! I love Carrot Cake! I will have to try this recipe. I think it's great that your
"mistakes" made the cake even better! Haha... I tend to do the same thing.

Jennifer said...

Carrot cake is one of my favs!! Yum!!!

Emily said...

I love carrot cake. It looks so good.

The Passionate Book Worm said...

That looks amazing! Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to have to try it out this weekend!

Ashley said...

Ooooh that looks great! I love when mistakes turn out good!

Snow White said...

that looks amazing! I use shredded carrots in my veggie lasagna... :) maybe I'll try this recipe for Bible study next week - I'm always looking for good treats.

Cowgirl D said...

LOVE carrot cake. looks great!

Emily said...

This looks delicious!
Thanks for the comment on my blog. Its funny, when you first commented and I saw your name, I thought it was my friend that has a little girl named Taryn. Then, upon further inspection, I realized that it wasn't them. Then, I saw that you had left a comment for my friend Jackie. So I checked out your blog and it turned out that you have the kind of blog that I love.
Do you remember how you found my blog? Just curious.

a H.I.T. said...

I am definitely making this. Have any good zucchini bread recipes?

T i f f a n y said...

Carrot cake is my favorite!! I can't wait to make one for Easter :)

Brittany Ann said...

Yum! Carrot cake is my fav! Thanks for sharing!

Pamibelle said...

YUM, looks so good. Umm, I am seriously really hungry now.

PJ said...

Carrot cake is one of my favorite things in life! Who shot the photo onyour blog banner. It always makes me laugh!

nowealthbutlife.com said...

That looks so delicious! I love to "spill" spices and I think it's funny that Chris (your husband?) "cringes" because my husband thinks its a sign that I know how to cook that I just wing it. I guess it's all about how you interpret it? Anyway, it looks wonderful this time!

Thanks for your comments. I certainly hope that I find answers other than what you've found. The idea of swallowing whole cloves is not appealing!

Emily said...

Oh this looks so good. I love Carrot Cake, definitely going to have to make this for the next birthday!

Snow White said...

Just made this cake -- with zucchini added (because I didn't have enough carrots) and it's AMAZING. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Colleen said...

Mmm carrot cake and cream cheese frosting. Perfect together.