I got this recipe from my mother-in-law because her carrot cake was always fantastic. However, because I am a little haphazard in the kitchen (which makes Chris cringe) and I make mistakes, I now have an improved recipe.
- 2 C Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 C sugar
- 1 1/2 C oil
- 4 beaten eggs
- lots of nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger*
- 4 C shredded carrots**
** The original recipe called for 3 C shredded carrots. I peeled my carrots,
then shredded them in my super fun Cuisinart,
and measured them - only to find I had over 4 cups of shredded carrots. I only needed 3- but what can you do with a cup of shredded carrots? I didn't know of anything besides coleslaw, so I just threw all 4 cups into the batter. I think it made a huge difference. The cake was uber moist.
- Sift all dry ingredents.
- Add oil, eggs and carrots and mix well.
- Grease and flour 3 8'' layers (or two 9'' pans with one 8'' pan).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- 3 C powdered sugar
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 C butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add cream cheese, beat until smooth.
- Add vanilla.
(Please excuse my mediocre frosting job. I was chatting and frosting at the same time, and apparently that is too much for me.)