Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Hamburger-Wild Rice Casserole


Apparently the spicy southern cuisine is finally getting to me because I have made another fairly traditional hot dish! Wild rice Casserole is super duper easy, holds well in the oven, and leftovers are divine. Give it a try if you are ever feeling the call of the Great North (or maybe just your stomach.)

Hamburger-Wild Rice Casserole
Adapted from North Country Cabin Cooking
  • One box Uncle Ben's Wild rice Pilaf
  • 1/4 Cup chopped onion
  • 1 lb ground meat (we used bison, imagine that)
  • 2 10.5 oz cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 Cup broth (we used homemade vegetable broth)
  • sliced mushrooms, asparagus, celery, green beans - all to taste (I put in 1/2 Cup to 1 Cup of each)
Directions
  1. Cook rice as directed.
  2. Brown meat and onion in sauce pan.
  3. Combine meat, rice and all other ingredients and spread in 9 x 13 pan.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Easy as pie! Sorry I don't have any other pictures to show you- we had some big eaters over, and the 6 of us plowed through the whole thing! (It is supposed to serve 12 . . .)

8 comments:

Emily said...

Looks delish! I will have to give it a try.. that might be one casserole my husband might actually try.

Re: Headache... I don't think it was a migraine. I didn't have the blurred vision that most people claim to get.... I just know it was a AWFUL headache that I had for two days and getting sick made me feel better. LOL!

Snow White said...

you are a Minnesotan at heart! my grandma makes a very similar dish... and I love it.

Cowgirl in the City said...

Yumm... thanks for sharing this recipe!

Lucy Marie said...

Yum. I am putting that on the menu for next week, for sure. It is similar to a chicken and rice recipe my mom makes, except she doesn't use the wild rice and she uses chicken instead of ground meat. So, I guess it's not the same at all :D

Ashley said...

That looks so good! I'm going to try it with some ground turkey. THanks!

Emily said...

Mmmm. My mom makes wild rice casserole (she's a Minnesotan, too). This looks delicious.

April said...

Mmmm ... this looks so good!! :o)

katie beth said...

This looks wonderful and so simple, even I can do it!

I just stumbled onto your blog. Its super cute and the recipes look fantastic!