Thursday, March 26, 2009

Creamy Wildrice Soup


I don't know, but Minnesota and Soup must be on my mind!

That, and Chris is refusing to take carrots in his lunch anymore . . . so I needed to find a way use some of the 2 lbs of carrots I had in the fridge. My mother made fantastic wild rice soup at Thanksgiving- and I have been missing it ever since. (Well not really, but humor me for the sake of the story.)

Since there is not much to this soup, it is worth your while to buy the good stuff: real Minnesota Wild Rice rather than the mixed wild rice pilaf.


After about an hour, this is what you will have:


hmm, hmm!

Creamy Wild Rice Soup
Adapted from Mom

Ingredients (Note: These are approximate ingredient specifications- it is not too specific- you can wing it)
  • 1 6 oz box of wild rice
  • 1 lb grated carrots
  • 4 chopped stalks of celery (more if you have it)
  • 8 oz sliced mushrooms
  • 1 Cup chopped onion
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • 1 Cup broth
  • 1 can condensed mushroom soup OR 1 Cup Cream (It is so much better with cream, but I didn't have any)
  • 1 chopped radish (to get rid of your spicy radishes you bought accidentally)
  • Optional: My mom adds chopped almonds which are delicious, but not worth the pain I would suffer through later.
  • Optional: Mom also adds ham chunks or chicken to the soup which adds some more substance.
Directions
  1. Cook rice as box directs. Wild rice takes about an hour to cook, so give yourself time.
  2. When the rice is nearly done, saute onions, celery, carrots in oil for 5 minutes. Then add mushrooms and cook until mushrooms "release their liquid." (sounds a little gross if you ask me.)
  3. When rice is done, drain and add to pot of vegetables. Add broth. Then add soup or cream. Raise heat to blend the flavors (but not too high- you probably shouldn't boil the cream).
  4. Serve with crackers and enjoy!

8 comments:

Ashley @ The Happy Little Home said...

Ok that looks amazing! Where do you get the rice? I don't know if my health food store would have something like that....

Taryn said...

I got it at Super Target . . .

Cowgirl D said...

looooving the storm. and for the same reason. unless I decide to go out and play (like the 5 year old I really am) I don't have to go anywhere. :)

Erin said...

This sounds SO good - and we're supposed to get a blizzard tomorrow; perfect soup weather...

Denise K. said...

Hi there! Oh this sounds so good...I am such a bad cook, but if you think an amateur like me can handle it, I would love to try it!!!

You mentioned a restaurant in Boulder...are you close to Boulder? We are in Longmont, how awesome if we could meet for lunch or coffee one day???? Let me know...apple926@q.com. It would be great to meet you! I just LOVE Lucy...is she a personal friend of yours??? She is such a doll!

As you are probably experiencing...we are having a blizzard today! :-)

Love,
Denise :-)

Snow White said...

love it. love it. love it. you make me miss home.

Shalay said...

That looks and sounds so good! But it's been like 80 degrees here lately, not exactly soup-weather. I shall save this recipe for a rainy day. Literally.

♥Brandy said...

YUM!