Sunday, March 15, 2009

Black and White Cheesecake Squares

While Chris' Mom was out of town last week, Chris and I had my father-in-law over for dinner. We had Tater Tot Hot Dish because Chris was jealous of the one I made for our friends at church. I added some mushrooms and celery and it was even better than the original recipe! Very Delicious.

For dessert, we had these . . .

*This photo was designed to mimic the photo in my Martha Stewart Living- but I couldn't find the photo online to show you- so just pretend it is normal display brownies like this, ok?

They are Black and White Cheesecake Squares. mmhmmm. However, making them was a little bit stressful, because right as I started to put it together I found this in our fridge.


The cream cheese had a nice deep gash in it. Darn. I had to call Chris and ask him to stop by the store and get some more cream cheese on his way home. Definitely a bummer.

But Chris pulled through, we got the cream cheese and made the dessert just in time. whew! (I know you were very concerned. (Or not, because I already told you we had them for dessert. Anyway . . . ))

Here is the recipe if you are interested.

Black and White Cheesecake Squares
Slightly adapted from Martha

Ingredients:
  • Vegetable oil cooking spray
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 10 ounces (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
Directions:
  1. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
  2. Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl. Cream butter and granulated sugar with a mixer until smooth. Add 2 eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla, and beat until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl. Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture. Increase speed to medium; beat until incorporated.
  3. Reserve 1 cup of dough; cover, and refrigerate. Press remaining dough into bottom of prepared dish. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Bake until base is set and edges are puffed, about 25 minutes. Let cool in dish on a wire rack.
  4. Mix cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, and remaining egg and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in a medium bowl. Spread over cooled base; crumble reserved dough on top. Bake until filling is set, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in dish on wire rack. Cut into 24 squares. Squares will keep, covered and refrigerated, for up to 3 days.

12 comments:

Snow White said...

those look delicious! And, even made with whole wheat flour... nummy.

Emily said...

Girl I am gonna have to stop coming by your blog.. just looking at the food you make adds on 5 pounds everytime I look.

runjen said...

Holy Yum! Those look so delicious! Love the artistic photo too!

Lucy Marie said...

You are making me drool ....

shalay said...

My mouth is watering just looking at those! I definitely need to make them sometime in the near future!

Jennifer said...

Those look awesome!!

Kristen said...

wow these look so good! I have a slight cheesecake obsession so I'll definitely be trying these!

Jen K said...

Uhmmm these look ridiculously delicious and I would like to eat maybe half the pan immediately.

Barefoot in the Park said...

those look delish! i think i'll have to try!

nowealthbutlife.com said...

I just happened on your blog and was very happy to see that you'd made (and apparently liked) these bars. I saw them in MSL and considered making them but had really bad luck with the last cream cheese-type bars I made.

This should be perfect for bringing to my Bible study, thanks!

maggieconv said...

Yummmm I'm going to have to try this recipe!

tania claverie said...

miam!!!!