Sunday, February 8, 2009

Take this you teen vampires!

My good friend works in marketing for a bookstore around here and she supplies me with the "advanced uncorrected reader copy" of many teen books. If you do not work in publishing and are anything like me, you probably did not know that advanced reader copies even existed, so let me enlighten you. (If you are reading this, "good friend" and I have gotten something incorrect, please correct me!) Publishers publish advanced reader copies and give them to marketing departments, bloggers and others who may potentially spread the word about how awesome a new book is, so that the book will sell well once it comes out. These books are not published on high quality papers or anything, and often have a few grammar mistakes, as they have not been though the final edit yet.

But anyway, on to the point of this post . . . my good friend and I both LOVE Sarah Dessen. She has written many a young adult fiction (8 actually) and her newest, Along for the Ride comes out in June of this year. However, thanks to her awesomeness, we did not have to wait that long because she snagged an advanced uncorrected reader copy! After reading it, she passed it on to me and I have just finished it. Oh, it is so good! There are so many good things about it, but I will not give anything away just yet. I just wanted to start some buzz about the book, which is the point of advanced reader copies, right?


Sarah Dessen is a fantastic writer, most of her books follow a fairly standard teen love story, but have many unique qualities. First, they are very ... ahem ... clean. You would be surprised how advanced some teen books are, kinda makes me feel like I was a prude in middle school. (Well, actually I was, but I mean, who writes fiction about it?) Okay, back to Sarah- Along for the Ride is especially clean- cleaner than Twilight, in my opinion. Another cool thing about her books is that after you read a few, you start to catch glimpses of other stories intertwined within the current one. Sarah includes passing references to trends, people or places that are highlighted in a different book. It is fun.

If you are interested in learning more, check out Ems Bookshelf, she does great reviews of teen books, including Sarah Dessen's books.

I love this new book by Sarah, but my favorite is still The Truth About Forever. While googling for a picture of the cover, I found this awesome utube video. It is a fake movie trailer for the book. It is great.

10 comments:

Emily said...

How awesome you get an advanced copy like that. I will have to remember this book in June! Thanks for the heads up!

Vintage Girl at Heart said...

Oh wow I can't wait to read this book!!! I imagine my older daughters will love it too!!!

Ryan Ashley Scott@Optimistic Cynicism said...

It is amazing how many YA books are more advanced than we'd want our kids to be at the age they might read them. Glad to hear there are some good ones out there!

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Sarah said...

hi!! thanks for the comment and yes, i love young adult fiction. my best friend is a middle school english teacher and so she always has an in on what is new and popular. i am still reading audrey, wait and i do like it. i am also reading city of bones and that is pretty good so far as well. sarah deisen seems like a jodi picoult. i read three of jodi's books and so so burnt out after the third one from all the courtroom talk. anyway, take care!

Mandy said...

You got it all perfectly right. And I'm glad you enjoyed it! I can't wait to discuss it with you and compare thoughts. The Truth About Forever is still my fav, too. :)

Emily said...

That is so fun, I'm definitely going to have to look into that this summer.

Tiffany Lynn said...

That's cool that you have the hookup!! I might have to pick up one of her books :)

D said...

I'm so jealous that you get advanced copies! And I'm definitely going to check out Sarah Dessen! Do I need to read them in the order she wrote them?

Kathryn said...

i didn't realize twilight wasn't "clean" !

Taryn said...

Kathryn- Twilight is clean- very clean actually- but Sarah Dessen's books are just cleaner. = )