Sunday, February 22, 2009

Taggie Baby Blanket

This weekend I was unable to make it to a friend's baby shower, but I did make her a gift. I decided to make the baby a Taggie Blanket. You know- the weird ones with a million pieces of ribbon sewed into the seams. Yeah. Kids love 'em. Here is mine!


I will not give a serious tutorial here, mostly because I do not understand the sewing lingo, and get lost trying to read other people's tutorials. But I will show you something not to do . . .


Can you see what is wrong here? Yes, I sewed the tags on the wrong directions. Boo. The worst part is that I had sewn over, back-stitched, and sewed over each ribbon again to be extra sure that the blanket would not be a safety hazard. So removing the stitches was painstakingly slow. All I could think about was a line from a book about Felicity, my American Girl Doll, "A stitch in time save nine." I'd say so. This is what it should have looked like.


After sewing the ribbon tags on correctly, I sewed on the other fabric, I turned the blanket inside out, hand stitched the hole closed and added a decorative stitch up the sides to make it pretty and give it some more structure. I think I got the ultimate complement from Chris- after it was done I showed it to him and he said, "Wow Taryn, it looks a lot better than I thought it would." Boo-yah baby!



(I don't know why the blanket looks gray here- from the other pictures it is most obviously green.)

And here it is all wrapped up and ready to go to church! (She and her husband are in our couple's Sunday School class.)


Go Buffs!

8 comments:

D said...

I left you an award on my blog, stop by to see it!

DomesticDivasFancy said...

That is cute. I am sure babies would love to play with all the different size and textures on the ribbon. Cute Idea, dont feel bad about the ribbon, sewing it the wrong way...I have done that a time or two. You would think that I would learn after a few times that sewing them inward does not work! I am sewing challenged.

Emily said...

So cute! Your friend will love it and I am sure her baby will too!

♥Mrs. V said...

very cute!

Meredith said...

Very cute! I've never understood why babes love those blankets so much, but they really do seem to love them!

Lucy Marie said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. The taggie blanket is so cute. I'd love to try making one someday but I'm not much of a seamstress. I bought my nephew one and he loves it.

About homemade bread - don't give up yet. My first few tries were not very successful. And I'm planning on trying a few more varieties of bagels in the future so stop by again.

Princesa said...

hey thanks so much for your comment!
i will definitely post more stuff about Peru on my blog :) hopefully i will persue you to visit my country hehe.
btw the blanket is soooo cuteeeee! aw<3

Mr. and Mrs. In Training said...

what an amazing idea! I love this and love your blog!