This weekend I was unable to make it to a friend's baby shower, but I did make her a gift. I decided to make the baby a Taggie Blanket. You know- the weird ones with a million pieces of ribbon sewed into the seams. Yeah. Kids love 'em. Here is mine!
I will not give a serious tutorial here, mostly because I do not understand the sewing lingo, and get lost trying to read other people's tutorials. But I will show you something not to do . . .
Can you see what is wrong here? Yes, I sewed the tags on the wrong directions. Boo. The worst part is that I had sewn over, back-stitched, and sewed over each ribbon again to be extra sure that the blanket would not be a safety hazard. So removing the stitches was painstakingly slow. All I could think about was a line from a book about Felicity, my American Girl Doll, "A stitch in time save nine." I'd say so. This is what it should have looked like.
After sewing the ribbon tags on correctly, I sewed on the other fabric, I turned the blanket inside out, hand stitched the hole closed and added a decorative stitch up the sides to make it pretty and give it some more structure. I think I got the ultimate complement from Chris- after it was done I showed it to him and he said, "Wow Taryn, it looks a lot better than I thought it would." Boo-yah baby!
(I don't know why the blanket looks gray here- from the other pictures it is most obviously green.)
And here it is all wrapped up and ready to go to church! (She and her husband are in our couple's Sunday School class.)
21 hours ago