Thursday, February 5, 2009

Planet Earth


As I am sure you have all heard, Planet Earth is AWESOME! Chris and I took advantage of his student status and went to see Planet Earth- Water at the CU planetarium last night. It was really neat- huge screen, nice sound system, and hippies all around.

I know that not many of you will be able to take advantage of this program (they are showing the entire series, one every two weeks) but I just wanted to share. Seeing all that water really made me miss MN- and summer on the lake. I want to go swimming now more than ever. Oh well, summer will come soon enough.

I would like to share my favorite creature from last night's installment:

The Bamboo Shrimp


This guy secures himself in fast moving freshwater rivers and lets his fans do the rest of the work. He then eats the sediment that his fans "catch" as the water rushes past. It was one of the funniest things I have ever seen (that, or perhaps the group of otters that purposely tormented the crocodiles.)

image from Leino88 on flickr.com

9 comments:

Mrs. Hibit said...

I gave my husband the complete series for Christmas. I didn't think I'd really be "into" it, but it's fascinating! I just sit in disbelief that people were able to capture all of this incredible beauty and detail on video.

DomesticDivasFancy said...

Oh that is awesome. I remember going to the planitarium when I was in elementary school...It was so fascinating.

Lori (MrsB1021) said...

I love the Planet Earth series. How cool that you got to see it in such a large format!

♥Mrs. V said...

I just gave you an award....go check it out!

Judi said...

We are going to have to go and see it too..that sounds soooo interesting. Isn't that interested about that shrimp too?.. He's sorting of using a net. What a clever being.
I hope you've had a great day.
Judi
I have MOVED TO Blogspot..from Wordpress. I love it here. I hope you'll come to visit my new home.

Mrs.D said...

i also love love love this! I want to go there so bad too =) you just gave me a great idea for a date with the hubster...
xo
steph**

Emily said...

I've left you two awards on my blog... stop by sometime to check them out. :)

Rose said...

Agreed! We tivo-ed all of them when they were on TV. It was all I could talk about for weeks!

Wouldn't it be cool to visit some of those places? Like those caves??

Jules said...

Very cool. I remember when this was on the Discovery Channel. I would love to see it on the big screen.