Friday, February 20, 2009

Junk Drawer?

This is our junk drawer. Pretty nice.


I was reading about organizing your life on Oprah.com (shh- don't tell anyone) and came across the idea of dumping your junk drawer completely. We have a small apartment kitchen so the need for the "magic triangle" they discuss is not so important for us, but the idea of axing our junk drawer was intriguing. So I tried it.

I took everything out of the drawer and sorted it. I took the tools to live with our other tools. I put the pens, pencils and markers over by the desk. I threw away a million twist ties, and 1/2 a million old rubber bands. (How did we acquire so many twisties and rubber bands in 2.5 years?) I moved the seeds out to the garage with the dirt and pots (well, that is where they are going to go. Right now they are on my desk waiting to be planted.). And put the batteries in a cupboard that is out of the way because we really don't use batteries much. Now the drawer looks like this:


I kept one pen and some paper to make grocery lists as well as some coupons in the drawer. I may move them later, but they are there for now. I don't really know what to put in the drawer . . . what a nice problem. = )

(My cleaning is not really done yet- I still have to deal with the desk. The desk is a huge task and needs to be dealt with anyway, so the huge box of pens sitting on the floor is just extra motivation.)

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

Nice job organizing!!

*claire* said...

very impressive!! and your drawer was a lot more organized to start with than mine ever has been...

Meredith said...

I'm totally impressed!

Emily said...

I was just complaining about our junk drawer last night. This is perfect. There shouldn't be a junk drawer. Thanks for the inspiration.

Aliya said...

INSPIRING! Unfortunately, in a 1-bedroom apartment, there isn't room for a junk drawer... unless its in the nightstand. Hopefully this will motivate me to tackle it!

♥Mrs. V said...

I don't really have a junk drawer as most of our stuff is still packed up. BUT I do have a drawer with random spoons and spatula's in a drawer and that drives me crazy but its impossible to organize.

Lindsey said...

We have a junk drawer that I cleaned and then it became a junk drawer again!! Ha!

Mmm mai tais...We didn't try the Hilton's, we'll have to do that next time we're there! We had the best mai tais from the Hyatt!

DomesticDivasFancy said...

Holy cow! I would have to find something to go in there...Maybe if my hubby would fit that would be nice. ;)