Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Homemade Vegetable Broth

With the success of my chicken broth, I thought I would try some vegetable broth. It is easy enough.

Seriously though, vegtable stock is pretty darn easy. I got the recipe from a great cookbook called, Cheap, Fast, Good. The recipes are almost always cheap and fast, but good is sometimes relative. In an effort to teach frugality, the book tells you how to make stock. Here is what you do . . . for a few days take all your vegetable clippings (stems of bell peppers (no seeds), tomato stems, ends of carrots, the leafy parts of celery, potato skins, onion tops, tough ends of asparagus, stems of mushrooms, anything really- I even used cucumber ends and sun dried tomatoes) and put them in a plastic bag in the fridge. When you have a variety place the veggies into a slow cooker or dutch oven and add just enough water to cover the vegetables. If in a Crockpot, cook for 4-6 hours on high, 8-12 on low. In the dutch over, bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 4 hours. If you can, check the stock periodically and add more water if needed.

It looks pretty gross when it is all done.


Let it cool, ladle the chunkies out, and strain it. I froze mine in an ice cube tray to save for later. When frozen, I put 4 or 5 of them in plastic bags. I am not sure how many cups of broth it is, but soup isn't that precise.



Pretty neat! We might be having soup again soon . . .

7 comments:

Emily said...

Neat idea! Doesn't look as tasty as it sounds. LOL!

Mrs. Smith said...

Hi! Thanks so much for the blog love, and for all the great new blogs to read! I'm so excited.

And - this idea for freezing broth in ice cube trays??? Genius!!!!!!!!

Aliya said...

yummm... what a great idea!!

Lindsey said...

YUMMY!!

SAB said...

I had no idea that is how vegtable broth was made. Thanks for sharing. Maybe someday I will be motivated enough to try it out.

Jennifer said...

YUM!! Makes me want to curl up with a cup of soup!!

Snow White said...

fun! I've never made my own broth before, though I've wanted to! you made it look super easy.