Monday, February 9, 2009

Homemade Chicken Soup

I was sick (again!) this weekend, so I thought, why not make myself some nice Chicken soup. Uh huh, great idea Taryn. Not so much, actually. Here is the short story of my soup.

I dug through some cook books to find a recipe for chicken soup, and one for chicken stock. They sounded pretty easy. So I rummaged through the freezer to find some chicken legs, then went to the store to get some carrots and celery. (That was probably the least amount of money ever spent in a trip to the grocery- a whopping $1.69.) I cut them up and placed them into my nice green pot.


I then covered the chicken and all some ingredients with water and after it began to boil, I reduced it to a simmer for 40 minutes. (There are differing opinions on this, Betty thinks you should simmer the whole time, while another book thinks you should just bring to a boil and then turn the burner off and let it cook as it cools. I thought I would go with Betty on this one.)

Within 10 minutes, the kitchen started to smell divine. The chicken was cooking and the water was being seasoned. This is so easy, I thought to myself.

Until the chicken was done. Then I had to take the chicken out, strip it off the bone, cut it up into bite size pieces, take the big veggies out of the broth, pour the broth out of the green pot, clean up the spills I made while transferring broth, strain the broth, and scoop the fat off the broth.

Whew, ready to start the soup.

So yeah, making soup from scratch is a lot of work. And my chicken was already dead and cleaned, my noodles were pre-made, and I didn't have to grow my veggies. I cannot imagine the life of a pioneer wife. I don't know what I would have done. Been tougher, I guess.

In the end, 3 hours after starting, I sat down with a nice bowl of chicken soup. mmmhmmm good!


I will post the actual recipe for the soup later, if anyone is interested.

5 comments:

Vintage Girl at Heart said...

MMM Looks divine!!! Hope it does the trick and you are feeling better soon.
(I have had more colds this year than ever before, must be the move cross country from Florida to Oklahoma, and changes
in climates... hmmm you too I bet!!!)
Take Care!

Mrs. Hibit said...

I'd be even more hopeless out on the range, as my chicken soup is made with Swanson's broth.
I still call it "homemade" but it walks a fine line.

Tiffany Lynn said...

Wow that is a lot of work! Looks great though :)

Ryan Ashley Scott@Optimistic Cynicism said...

That looks like waaaayyyy too much work! Maybe I could talk my Nano into making it next time she's in town... It looks delicious.

Rose said...

Looks great! Yummy and fresh! :o)