Thursday, February 12, 2009

Healthy Homemade Breakfast Bars

Sorry for the pessimistic post the other day . . . Yesterday was much better, and I know today will be even better.

Moving on, I would like to share with you a recipe from Katie over at Good Things Catered. She has fantastic treats and great recipes. I had some bananas laying around turning a pretty shade a black so I went looking for something to make with it. I found this recipe and gave it a shot.

Unfortuntely, neither Chris nor I liked them. But I think it was just an "us" thing, and maybe you would like them if you tired. So here is the recipe . . .

Healthy Breakfast Bars
Adapted from Good Things Catered
  • 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 c. oats
  • 1/4 c. wheat bran
  • 2 Tbsp ground golden flax seed
  • 3 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 Tbsp honey
  • 2 Tbsp oil
  • 1/2 c. pumpkin puree
  • 1 ripe banana, mashed
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 c. chopped dried fruit (I used prunes, craisins and raisins)
  • Nuts if desired

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 315 degrees and prepare 8x8 baking pan.
-In medium bowl, combine flour, oats, bran, flax seed, baking soda, and cinnamon.
-In bowl of stand mixer, combine pumpkin, banana, applesauce, honey, oil and vanilla until thoroughly blended.
-Add brown sugar and mix until completely incorporated.
-Add flour mixture and blend until just combined.
-Remove bowl from mixer and stir in dried fruit.
Spread batter into pan and bake for 20 minutes (or more).
-Cool and cut into 16 bars.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

They look yummy!! I bet my boys would love them!!