Friday, February 27, 2009

Cookie Brittle

NOTE:
For those of you who have given up desserts for Lent please stop reading here. If you choose to continue- I cannot take responsibility for the imminent lusting and drooling that will ensue.

We hosted some couples from our Sunday School class at our house the other night for fellowship and a Bible Study. (I love how hanging out with people from church is called "fellowship," while if we were to have non-church friends over, the get-together would just be a get-together. Fellowship makes our talking and dessert eating sound so important.) Anyway, I needed to make a dessert for the group to munch on while I rambled aimlessly on about individual and communal laments- so I made Cookie Brittle.


It turned out quite well. It is very rich, but very delicious. Here is the recipe . . .

Cookie Brittle
Adapted from Get Togethers Cookbook

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon ground flax (for good measure)
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • powdered sugar for dusting
Directions:

~Cream the butter and sugar with the vanilla and salt in a mixing bowl or food processor until light and fluffy.
~Beat in the flour.
~Mix in the chocolate chips by hand.
~Pat into an unbuttered 10 x 15 (I used a 9 x 13) pan.
~Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned (I had to do it for a bit longer). ~Cool. Break into irregular pieces and drain on paper towels.
~Dust with confectioners’ sugar.

9 comments:

Lindsey said...

Yummy!!!

Kristen said...

looks delicious! Thanks!

Emily said...

Those look so good.

What is Lent?

Jennifer said...

Yum! I just printed the recipe!!

Lynette said...

oh yum!
btw you won a surprise gift from my name game blog
please send me you name and address so i can mail it to you
lynette355 at yahoo

Taryn said...

Emily- From my understanding, Lent comes from the Catholic tradition of giving something up/ abstaining for the 40 days before Easter. (Lent starts on Ash Wednesday- the Wednesday following Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday)- i.e. the last day to party before you give up alcohol, sex, chocolate, gluttony, blogging - anything that you think is a vice, or hindrance in your relationship with God.) Depending on your tradition, sometimes Sundays are "free" days, and sometimes not.
I know Lent is much more prevalent in Catholic denominations, but some many protestants (especially Lutherans) take part in the ritual.
These days it seems like people are adding things to their lives for Lent as much as they abstain. I love the idea of adding daily prayer, or working out to your life as a way to build up to Easter.

I hope that answers your question. To those who know more than me (lots of you)- if I am totally off base, please let me know.

Emily said...

Lol, thanks for the warning! I'm saving this for my first baking adventure post Lent :)

Emily said...

Thanks for the info on Lent. I hadn't ever heard of it before and didn't know what you were referring to.

Maybe I should give up some things that I put before God.. I know we all do this... that sounds like a great idea and I ain't even Catholic.. lol!

DomesticDivasFancy said...

I so wish we lived closer, I could be your food taste tester. I am going to have to make these tomorrow for sure they look deliciously yummy! Hey I also wanted to tell you that I got a blog button. This lasy on Etsy made it for 3 bucks!