Thursday, January 29, 2009

Homemade Bread Crumbs

I have been known to make my own bread, and sometimes it is not the best. So when it doesn't get eaten, I usually freeze it, hoping that it will someday come to some good. Like today! I found a recipe for cooking breaded chicken legs- which requires bread crumbs. Since we didn't have any, I thought I would try to make some from my bread.

So I tried it, and you know what- making bread crumbs is honestly one of the easiest things I have ever done. All you do is take some dry bread (not stale), toast it a bit in the oven, then pulverize it in your food processor and you are done. Seriously. It is that easy.


I can't want to give them a try tonight!

5 comments:

judicreations said...

You are quite the chef. I love your recipes and your pictures...you make me feel hungry! I have so many delish dishes to try. Bread crumbs are a great idea...one could never run out...
have a great day
Judi

Lynette said...

Hey you can also season the bread before you cook it some. Then you have a seasoned crumb for you dinner coating. Like thyme and garlic for chicken.

DomesticDivasFancy said...

I found that trunk on overstock.com! I just google image search and find the items that look alike and would work for putting a space together. Its fun!

lynette said...

Yes, can just sprinkle season and then toast. Or even add just a lil olive oil and seasoning together in a bowl then brush on before you toast. Let dry after toasting so crumbs do not become mush.

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

We stopped using breadcrumbs when we found out my baby was allergic to wheat. Sigh, I used to use them all the time!
PS - I am not patient enough to cut my fabric out with scissors - I usually always use a rotary cutter!