Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Good 'ole Candy

While 10 days of vacationing with relatives can do nothing good for your figure- it does wonders for memories: both recalling old ones and creating new. While home, my father placed a treat for my sister, my husband and I under our pillows. I had forgotten the instant joy that rushes to my heart when I see a little bit of candy peeking out from under my pillow. Sigh. My dad hid these for us:



I ate one tonight and more childhood memories were recalled: like the feeling of eating paper . . . I checked each dot to make sure I was not just eating paper, and yet still felt like I was eating a disproportionate amount of paper. I remembered that I always eat the strips from pink to blue. I realized I had forgotten that my sister is a pro at eating sugar candies- especially candy cigarettes, orange Tic Tacs and candy buttons. (I love you Katie- I miss you more than you know.) I realized that saliva, paper and dye do not make for a pretty after photo for a blog. And I remembered that the three green ones between blue and yellow are my favorite. Hmm, I wonder why . . . .

image from www.thechocolatestore.com

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love candy buttons!!! That is so cool your dad did that!!

Hayley said...

One of my favorite things to do when I go to Martha's Vineyard over the Summer is to load up on vintage penny candy - dots are sooo good, but flying saucers were always my fave!

Emily said...

Hi Taryn - We had so much fun snowshoeing, I'd definitely recommend it. We went to Brainard Lake - it's near Ward and about 45 minutes from Boulder. Email me if you want any specifics, but it's a good time! emilymckevitt at gmail dot com.

Kraesc said...

Hey! Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! We will definitely have to look into a foam mattress. And Oh My Gosh! I so just got some of these for Christmas! I hadn't had them in years and years. They really do bring back memories. I ate (Currently eating) mine exactly the same way. Hehe... Pink to blue!

Mandy said...

Now I have a craving for candy. :)

Let's hang out soon. :) I miss you!

Pam said...

Glad to see you are writing. I love reading it. Happy memories
pandersen.oconnell@gmail.com