Friday, January 30, 2009

Chicken with Spiced Tomato Jam


Sorry we are a little heavy on the food posts lately. I have not been able to do any cleaning or crafting because my "on again- off again" relationship with the thesis is back on. We have been going hot and heavy for the past few days. But we always have to eat, so food it is!

We used our bread crumbs with this chicken, and it turned out quite well. Here is a "action" shot of Chris breading the chicken. Ooooo - I know, very impressive.


Here is the recipe:

Chicken with Spiced Tomato Jam
adapted from Better Homes and Gardens magazine

Note: We adjusted the recipe for 4 chicken legs rather than the 12 the recipe calls for, but we didn't write the conversions down, and I am too lazy to do it now, so I will just give you the recipe as if you were to make 12 legs. Good luck with that.

Chicken:
  • 3/4 Cup dry bread crumbs
  • 1/3 Cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 + 1/2 teaspoon salt (we used Super Salt- which I have not blogged about- maybe someday)
  • 1/4 Cup olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp mustard
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 12 chicken drumsticks
Spiced Jam:
  • 14.5 oz can undrained diced tomatoes
  • 1/4 Cup Brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ginger
  • 1 Tbsp butter
For chicken:
~Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
~Combine crumbs, cheese and 1/4 tsp salt together.
~Combine oil, mustard, lemon juice and 1/2 tsp salt.
~Brush oil mixture on chicken, then roll the chicken in the crumbs.
~Place on baking sheet and cook for 45 minutes, or until no longer pink.

For Jam:
~Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil.
~Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated.
~Stir in butter until melted.

Chris really liked the jam; I was only "so-so." If you make it, let me know what you think.

4 comments:

DomesticDivasFancy said...

See...everytime I read your blog I get hungry. Your gonna make me fat!

Taryn said...

Diva: You make me laugh!

Jennifer said...

Yummy!! You've been posting some great recipes!!

hopeful #1 said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love having new readers and I appreciate your feedback about my new Mac. It's a little weird but we'll get used to it!

This on the other hand, looks amazing! So easy and yet so yummy! I can't wait to try it!