Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Cheesy Beans and Rice

Last night is the one night a week that Chris and I both come home late (for us) around 6:15. And because we had been eating a lot of our frozen "convenience" meals lately, I decided to make dinner in the afternoon so we would not be tempted with frozen Kiev again (even though it is sooo good!). So I made dinner- we had the meatless fare of rice and beans.


There is a bit more to dinner than just beans and rice- so here is the recipe:

Cheesy Beans and Rice
adapted from Get Togethers cookbook
  • 1 Cup uncooked brown rice
  • 1 15 oz can rinsed black beans
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 Cup chopped onions
  • 1 Cup chopped red and orange peppers
  • 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1 1/2 Cup shredded cheese
  • 1/2 Cup peas (I added these for good measure- we all need a little green)
  • salt to taste
Directions:
~Cook rice. Combine rice and beans in large bowl.
~Melt butter in skillet and saute onions and bell peppers for about 5 minutes.
~Add undrained tomatoes to skillet and simmer for 5 more minutes.
~Layer 1/2 bean mixture, 1/3 cheese, and 1/2 tomato mixture in a 7 x 11 baking pan. Sprinkle all the peas. Repeat layering.
~Top with remaining cheese.
~Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Note:
The original recipe calls for 1/2 teaspoon chili powder and 1 4 oz can green chile peppers (drained), but my northern palate does not handle that much oomph so I left it out. If you want to add it back in, it would be added to the tomato mixture right before you start layering.

3 comments:

Connie said...

I'm glad to know another who doesn't want to eat all the chilies and spice. In my family we call it "having a delicate gizzard" because my grandmother always talked about something being good or bad for your gizard. Yes, we know only birds have gizzards but doesn't every family have strange sayings?

Emily said...

Looks healthy... I need that!

DomesticDivasFancy said...

That looks yummy...Possibly dinner tomorrow night!