There is a bit more to dinner than just beans and rice- so here is the recipe:
Cheesy Beans and Rice
adapted from Get Togethers cookbook
- 1 Cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 15 oz can rinsed black beans
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 Cup chopped onions
- 1 Cup chopped red and orange peppers
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 Cup shredded cheese
- 1/2 Cup peas (I added these for good measure- we all need a little green)
- salt to taste
~Cook rice. Combine rice and beans in large bowl.
~Melt butter in skillet and saute onions and bell peppers for about 5 minutes.
~Add undrained tomatoes to skillet and simmer for 5 more minutes.
~Layer 1/2 bean mixture, 1/3 cheese, and 1/2 tomato mixture in a 7 x 11 baking pan. Sprinkle all the peas. Repeat layering.
~Top with remaining cheese.
~Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
The original recipe calls for 1/2 teaspoon chili powder and 1 4 oz can green chile peppers (drained), but my northern palate does not handle that much oomph so I left it out. If you want to add it back in, it would be added to the tomato mixture right before you start layering.