Monday, January 19, 2009

Bargin Hunters Beware


Yesterday I went to order this stellar bridesmaid dress from J.Crew for my sister's wedding in June, and I decided to look around at other stores while I was at the mall. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Victoria's Secret and Old Navy were having AMAZING sales. Ridiculous sales. Both VS and Old Navy have 50% off the clearance stuff. I bought 5 shirts and 4 sweaters/cardigans for $30.00 at Old Navy. I mean, can you beat long sleeved t-shirts for $2.50 a pop? I can't. So I bought a bunch.

But then I get home and I realize that my closet is a bit full. I have been trying to prevent the accumulation of too much stuff by "making room" for new things by getting rid of old. So I analyzed my closet, taking out shirts that are worn out or that I do not wear much. So far, I have 2 sweatshirts and 4 shirts folded up in a sad pile in our bedroom. Only 3 more to go! It feels good to make room for the new stuff, but not at the cost of losing good clothes. So, I will have to be careful about taking the principle of in-n-out too literally- and use my thinker to decide what makes the most sense.

What do you think about the idea of "making room" for new stuff? How do you prevent accumulating too much stuff?

image from jcrew.com

4 comments:

Mandy said...

ahh, you went shopping without me! I'm in need of a shopping fix and was even thinking of taking this friday off work to do a little shopping. Maybe you'll be up for round 2 by then? :)

Shannon said...

I do this too. At the end of every season I go through my closet and giveaway anything I did not wear that season. It usually ends up being quite a lot! :)

DomesticDivasFancy said...

That is a great idea...my closet and drawers are extremely full. Now I must go shopping ;)

Kelsey said...

I didn't know you had a blog--now I get to read yours, too! Congrats on turning in your thesis. I can only imagine how good that feels!

I, too, fell prey to the Old Navy bargains last weekend. I bought three items, two of which I cannot even wear until after I have the baby. But I couldn't resist--$17 for a wool blazer, turtleneck sweater, and lounge pants!