Friday, December 19, 2008

Peanut Butter Choclate Chip Cookies

Sorry about the lack of posts yesterday; I was feeling a little under the weather and thus was a bit crabby. Nobody wants to read about peanut butter chocolate chip cookies from a crabby person. But after a night of doing nothing but watching all the free shows I have downloaded from iTunes and a quasi-good night's sleep I am ready to tackle the challenge that is Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies!

On Wednesday night, my husband and I were attending a dinner party with some friends from church, and we volunteered to bring dessert. I had to work most of the day Wednesday so I didn't get a chance to make the dessert before the husband got home, so he romantically offered to help make dessert.

Footnote: The husband is a software engineer with some slight OCD tendencies. He likes to do things in the correct order, exactly as the directions say. His need to follow directions and my free spirit and hap hazard way of measuring ingredients causes some tension in the kitchen. I used to measure up to his standards, but ever since I have been doing a significant amount of baking and cooking to avoid foods that cause adverse reactions in my body, I have discovered that even baking is not nearly as precise as they taught us in home ec (however, candy making is definitely an art requiring exact measurements and an accurate temperature reading). In baking and cooking, I have found that as long as you are pretty close with the flour, sugar and such, it seems to work.

So, while making the cookies, I measured by sight, instead of leveling the flour and brown sugar with a knife, and I eye-balled the volume of baking soda and other ingredients, like I have done for the past few months. This was enough to give the husband a heart attack and he left the kitchen saying, "I cannot be part of this." But in the end, he was part of it, and came back to help me roll the dough in sugar and flatten the balls with a spatula (of which he did a superb job).

And guess what? The cookies turned out great! They were a huge hit at our house and the party, here is all we have left:


Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
modified from Smitten Kitchen
  • 1 1/4 cups Whole Wheat flour and White Whole Wheat flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup peanut butter at room temperature
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • For sprinkling: 1 tablespoon sugar

~Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

~In a large bowl, beat the butter and the peanut butter together until fluffy.

~Add the sugars and beat until smooth. Add the egg and mix well. Add the milk and the vanilla extract.

~Add the flour, the baking soda, the baking powder and beat thoroughly. Stir in the chocolate chips.

~Place sprinkling sugar — the remaining tablespoon — on a plate. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls into the sugar, then onto ungreased cookie sheets, leaving several inches between for expansion. Using a spatula, lightly flatten, but do not overly flatten cookies.

~Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Do not overbake. Cookies may appear to be underdone, but they are not.

Cool the cookies on the sheets for 2 minutes, then remove to a rack to cool completely.

Nummy!

5 comments:

Mandy said...

Looks yummy! and, yes, candy making does seem to be an art. We still need to perfect ours. :)

Kathryn said...

Erik likes to follow recipies too but I'm slowly wearing him down =)

Taryn said...

I love you katie. you make me smile. xoxo see you soon!

Anonymous said...

The easiest-to-use adjustments for baking at altitude I've found come from Baking at High Altitude: The Muffin Lady's Old Fashioned Recipes by Randi Levin, who lives in Evergreen, CO.

Baking powder or baking soda: scoop a bit out of measuring spoon

Connie

Sugar—just a pinch below the top of measuring cup. Sugar adds moisture to most recipes.

Use quick-cooking oats, not old-fashioned, which suck up more moisture.

Increase liquids, except oil about 1-1/2 tablespoons per cup.

Increase flour about 1-1/2 tablespoons per cup.

Do not use parchment paper on cookie sheet as it will suck up moisture.

Cover the brownie pan with plastic wrap while it cools so the moisture will not completely escape while it cools.

The CSU site's directions may result in the same adjustments but they sound ever so much more complicated.

We moved to Fort Collins (el. 5000) almost two years ago, and it's taken almost that long to be happy with most of our baked goods.

I've yet to master tapioca—the "real" stuff with medium pearl. It either turns out liquid or stiff. If you figure out the secret, do share.

Taryn said...

Wow- Thank you for all your helpful hints. I didn't know that parchment paper sucked moisture. Thanks so much for visiting my blog and sharing- high altitude cooking is very different. If I master tapioca I will post about it. = )