Saturday, December 20, 2008

Homemade Wheat Thins


Yesterday I worked all morning to create . . . dun dun dun . . . a box of Wheat Thins. Sigh. A lot of work for some crackers. But I was home-bound due to the fact that Chris took the car to have a transmission leak fixed. So, why not bake? (Its not like I have Christmas cards to send, a sewing machine calling my name, a dirty apartment or anything like that.)

I am still trying to figure out some- let's call them- food allergies (I do not have allergies or intolerances by definition, but certain foods do cause adverse affects within my knees and feet) so monitoring what I eat is important. So far, all I have found out is that I cannot eat tree nuts with abandon. But I am still in pain, so I am still eating something(s) that bother me. In order to figure out what those things are, I am trying to eliminate store bought good with funny names, hydrogenated oils and HFCS because they are known to be inflammatory. (Hopefully, I can figure out what is wrong and go beck to eating more "normally.") But for now I needed to find a way to get crackers without the $4.00 price tag of natural crackers.

So I have set out to make my our crackers. I had success with graham crackers, so why not try something new?


Homemade Wheat Thins
adapted from lifespy.com
  • 2 3/4 cup Whole Wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 pinch sea salt (plus more for sprinkling on the crackers)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
~Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
~Pulse flour, baking soda, sugar, and salt together in food processor.
~Add warmed butter and mix until it resembles coarse meal.
~Slowly add buttermilk, stopping when the meal forms a ball.
Now here is the 'fun' part:
~Roll the dough out until it is 1/8'' thick or less.
~Cut to desired size, place on parchment lined cookie sheets.
~Poke with fork and sprinkle with salt.
~Bake until browning on edges. (I really don't remember how long I baked them- I just kept checking on them.)

Cool and enjoy.


I am not sure I will make these again, they were a workout just to roll out. I would roll the dough out until it was thin, but the goal is 1/8'' thick or less. In order to achieve this thickness, I rolled mine so it wouldn't stick. I would roll the dough between parchment paper until I thought they were thin, then cut away half, and roll the dough as flat as it would go again. My arms are definitely going to be sore.

And all my rolling seemed to be for nothing, because the crackers rose in the oven. Why did they rise? I thought it was baking powder's job to make stuff rise, but as this recipe shows, baking powder didn't come to work. Is baking soda also responsible for rising dough?

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I'm pretty sure it's the yeast that makes the dough rise?