Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Acorn Squash


So yesterday I was cleaning up our apartment (as it had gotten fairly dirty with both of us being busy and all) and in the kitchen I found an acorn squash from the fall. I decided now was as good a time as ever to cook it up. I have had good luck with butternut squash and I thought my new found skills would carry over into acorn squash.

I got my recipe from Cooking Light, but I didn't use the "spicy" ingredients they suggested. So, in reality, I didn't actually use their recipe, I just baked the squash with a technique most adults know (except for me as a newbie in the kitchen). For others who are new, here is what I did:

~Cut squash in half
~Scoop out insides like a pumpkin (save seeds for toasting later)
~Cut squash into wedges, arrange on parchment papered cookie sheet
~Coat wedges with spray cooking oil, sprinkle some salt, melted butter, honey and brown sugar (Since it was Cooking Light they went light on the good stuff- I went heavy).
~Bake at 400 degrees for 50 minutes (until tender).

Easy. I did that. They smelled good and even looked good. I took a bite, and my childhood memories came hurling back. Seriously . . . I gaged. I remember why my mother felt when she fed when my sister and I squash as kids we acted like she was trying to poison us. It's 'cuz she was!! I don't what it is about this squash, maybe it is a texture thing, but I do not like it.

Does anyone know the difference between butternut squash and acorn squash? Are their textures really that different? Or was it the baking that did me in? If I had cooked the acorn squash like butternut in the Barley-Squash Pilaf, would I have refrained from gagging?

2 comments:

Emily said...

Thanks for all your sweet comments - I'm so excited to try some of your recipes. My mom is a Minnesota girl trying to live in the Colorado Desert, too - and we spent summers in Detroit Lakes growing up, so I feel your no water pain!

Mandy said...

This is a cute, funny story, Taryn. :) There are a lot of childhood (gross) foods that I would never make so kudos to you for being brave.