Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Homemade Laundry Soap

Making your own laundry soap is super duper easy. I mean really- if you can measure salt and grate cheese- you can make laundry soap. I first heard of making your own laundry detergent here, and after much online searching this is the recipe I have settled on.

Dry Laundry Soap
  • 1/2 C Borax
  • 1/2 C Baking Soda (not washing soda)
  • 1 grated Ivory soap bar (about one cup)
Mix together. Use 1 tbsp for a medium load and 2 tbsp for a large load.


To grate the soap I use a cheese grater. If you make this, I would buy a new grater specifically for grating soap as the soap will leave a residue and may get stuck in the grater. You don't want soapy cheese!


Most sites and recipes suggest using washing soda rather than baking soda but I decided to try baking soda for two reasons. First, I could not find washing soda anywhere. Second, on a site dedicated to washing reusable baby diapers I found that washing soda and baking soda do the same thing, except washing soda is more alkaline, and is thus harsher on clothes and skin. (Don't even ask how I got to a diaper washing site . . . eww.) I have fairly sensitive skin, so I decided to go with baking soda and it has worked great so far.

Most sites also suggest using some sort of laundry soap such as Fels Naptha or Zote. I bought a bar of Fels Naptha at my local grocery store, but have not yet used it. I say, why should I change when what I have is good? Also, Fels Naptha can be irritating to the skin, and with my sensitive skin I am avoiding it until I need to use it.

4 comments:

Liesl said...

Taryn, I'm glad you're enjoying the laundry soap! But I think that perhaps you should stop reading my blog, due to the worms-in-the-bucket issue. I'm obviously a terrible influence, and who knows what crazy ideas you may get in the future...

Cheers! -Liesl

Katie said...

What a GREAT idea!

jamie said...

That's a cool idea! Thanks for visiting my blog!

Laurel MacD said...

My baby has sensitive skin and we have to be very careful with anything I put on her skin. You've made it seem easey - Thanks
Laurel