Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Broccoli and Cheese Soup

Due to a phobia of touching meat, I only can make vegetarian dishes when the husband is not around, so today I decided to make Broccoli and Cheese Soup. I have never had homemade Broccoli and Cheese Soup before, so I really had no idea what to expect, but I dove right in. I decided to tweak a Martha recipe.


Here is my recipe-
Ingredients:
  • 4 slices cooked bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth + 1 can water
  • 1 head broccoli (about 1 pound), cut into bite-size florets, stalks peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 cup milk
  • 8 oz. shredded cheese
Directions:
~ In a medium pot, cook onion in some olive oil until it starts to soften.
~Add flour, stirring instantly, and cook for 30 seconds.
~Add broth and water and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for 10 minutes (I don't think you need to let it simmer but I did to help break up the flour chunks that I can never seem to avoid).
~Add broccoli, nutmeg, thyme, and milk.
~Cook broccoli until just before "crisp-tender," and add cheese and bacon.
~Melt cheese and warm bacon while broccoli finishes cooking.
~Serve with some extra cheese on top. Nummy!


Surprisingly, the soup turned out quite well. I added some goat cheese to my bowl of soup (because I LOVE it) and it added a nice subtle flavor to the soup.

No comments: